Have you ever caught yourself wishing for longer hair? Well, Yao women are living testament to that fact that long hair could always be longer and stronger … What do they attribute their hairy beauty to? Rice water hair rinses are said to be one of the factors. My hair journey takes me to many places lately so why not China and their world famous rice water rinses?
– Inositol, a carbohydrate, present in rice water helps to decrease surface friction thus helping to detangle the hair and protecting hair from damage
– Inositol also helps to improve hair elasticity and define hair pattern
– Amino acids present in the rice water strengthen the roots of the hair, add volume and sheen
– Fermented rice water which is slightly acidic and very nutritious helps to restore hair’s pH balance, nourishes hair follicles to promote healthy hair growth and improves overall condition of the hair
Overall, rice water is an amazing solution promoting hair growth and length retention.
You can use rice water – plain or fermented – as part of your hair wash or make it a last rinse solution
|Rice water shampoo||Rice water rinse|
|Rice water contains natural salonins which makes it a mild cleanser
If you are using Bentonite or Rhassoul clays for cleansing you hair, you could use rice water in order to prepare the solution
|1) Once your hair is clean and conditioned, pour rice water on your hair (add few drops of oil)
2) Gently massage your scalp and hair
3) Leave it on your hair for 5 min (max 20 min)
4) Rinse your hair and scalp thoroughly with plain water
|Do not use rice water as a leave – in!!!
Rice water has the ability to penetrate the hair. It continues to benefit the health of your hair even after it has been rinsed off. That said, if you do not rinse it off properly, it will build-up on your hair.
Please note that rice water contains protein. In fact, some people consider rice water to be a protein treatment solution! Be mindful of this fact in order to access how this nutritious mix would interact with other hair product that you use.
Rice water preparation:
When preparing your rice water mix, you can opt for soaking, boiling or fermentation recipe options. I personally prefer the option that involves little preparation on my part while providing maximum benefit upon use. As such, fermented rice water is my pick and the recipe is disclosed below.
|Ingredients||0.5 cup of uncooked rice
2 – 3 cups of warm water
1) Rinse the rice with about a cup of water to remove any dirt or impurities
2) Place rice in a bowl and cover it with water
3) Let rice soak for 15 – 30 min
4) Swirl it around or lightly knead it until it turns cloudy. Doing this will help the vitamins and minerals saturate the water
5) Strain rice water into a clean bowl
Fermented rice water:
6) Leave rice water in the room temperature for a day or two until it turns slightly sour. Sour taste of rice water indicates that the water started to ferment
7) Fermented rice water is very potent so you might need to dilute it with a cup or two of warm water before use. Adjust the amount of rice water according to the needs of your hair
– Rice water contains protein. The strength of protein in the solution depends primarily on the kind of rice that you use as a base. For example, brown rice – 3.6g; white rice – up to 4.5 g; wild rice – 25g of protein
– The smell of fermented rice water can be strong. Some people put few drops of rosemary or lavender oil to mask the smell
– Shake well rice water before use
– You can store rice water for a week
Please remember that healthy hair needs protein – moisture balanced haircare. As such, make sure that you do your due diligence in moisturizing your hair.
Thanks for reading,