When it comes to holiday drinking, eggnog is by far not the only thing on the menu special. The coziest and most heart – warming holiday drink I discovered so far is Gluhwein or simply mulled wine. There are certainly many regional variations when it comes to Gluhwein recipe; however, let us start with the most basic one of them.
750 ml red wine
Rum / Amaretto (optional)
1 medium orange
1 tsp honey
30 whole cloves
4 cinnamon sticks
2 whole star anise
1) Remove zest from the orange while taking care to avoid the white pith
2) Juice the orange
3) Combine orange juice, honey, cinnamon sticks and a splash of wine in the saucepan. Boil for 2 – 5 minutes for honey to fully dissolve in the mix and form a nice syrup
4) Reduce the heat and add wine, star anise, cloves and black pepper into the mix
5) Let the mix to barely simmer for at least 20 minutes but up to few hours
6) Strain the mix
7) Garnish with orange peel and start anise, if desired.
8) Serve in small mugs immediately